About Me

At times, I am a very shy person and very timid. I like to learn, I am willing to learn about any and everything. I LOVE laughing and smiling, love the feeling of making others laugh and smile. I do not like confrontations, being disrespectful, violence, or anything negative. I am passionate about everything I do, I really try hard to make sure that I give my best with everthing I do and when I know I haven't done my best I feel like I pretty much failed. I also like to try to help others, I think it is really important to try and help and positively inspire as many people as you can.

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Darkest Child post #5

 "I truly believed there was something unnatural about her--a madness that only her children could see." 
In this chunk it was really interesting that Rozelle beat Mary Jane so bad until she bled and had bruises all over her face because the man she met at the post office, Velman Cooper, delivered a letter to their house and the day after she beat her she acted as if she didn't know what happened to her. Rozelle has a very confusing personality; she got upset at Mushy for going out with a married man and at Mary Jane for talking to the man at the post office but yet she has relations with men for money and forces her daughters into prostitution. 
Mushy left after her and her mom got into an argument about Mushy going out with  married man. Mushy wants to get Tarabelle out of their mother's house so Tarabelle can live with her and Velman Cooper wants to get Mary Jane out of her mother's house. This makes Tangy Mae a little envious of her older sister because she wants for a man to love her the way Velman loves her sister; I'm not sure whether she wants love specifically from Velman Cooper or just from a man.
"I wanted him to love her, but I realized that I wanted him to love me, too." 

2 comments:

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...

I had that same question regarding Rozelle's view of Mushy--its so hypocritical! im thinking that since mushy is no longer under her care but rather "at her level," she feels she can take on a self-righteous farce.

but that still doesn't explain it...i dont know...

what if she sees herself IN mushy? is it self-hatred then?

uh, here's another idea (and it goes a little back to the self-righteous stuff): rozelle may believe she prostitutes herself to support her family. mushy has no need, really, to sleep with married men. rozelle therefore feels that she is more justified in doing so.