About Me

At times, I am a very shy person and very timid. I like to learn, I am willing to learn about any and everything. I LOVE laughing and smiling, love the feeling of making others laugh and smile. I do not like confrontations, being disrespectful, violence, or anything negative. I am passionate about everything I do, I really try hard to make sure that I give my best with everthing I do and when I know I haven't done my best I feel like I pretty much failed. I also like to try to help others, I think it is really important to try and help and positively inspire as many people as you can.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Darkest Child post #3

Even though on some occasions the Quinn siblings seem bitter towards each other there are still times when they display some type of compassion/care for each other. For example, Tangy Mae is very protective of her older sister Martha Jean who is deaf. Their mother refers to Martha Jean as the "dummy" but Tangy Mae tries to take care of her. When they were at the post office a twenty year old young man was very attracted to Martha Jean but Tangy Mae tried her best to not let him talk to her because she new it was risking her sister's safety. 
Tangy Mae's older brothers were involved in civil rights, making sure that the black people in their town are being treated equally as the whites because they were living in the time of segregation. I do not think their mother really paid much attention to the unequal treatment of blacks, or maybe she did but did not pay attention to making any actions that would change it, she seemed comfortable in the fact that blacks were considered inferior to whites. It seems like Rozelle lived in her own world.  

2 comments:

Jen said...

could it be that she is jealous of Martha Jean? i think so...i mean, what harm could Velman do?

now about Rozelle's attitude about race. i think, since she is so light skinned, she has felt superior to her people, having won favor from the white men in the county (by promiscuous means). she is not happy with the white treatment of blacks, but instead of speaking out against it, or growing bitter toward whites, she is bitter that some of her children are too dark, and reprimands them for such it seems.

Imolivgene said...

I don't know if she is jealous...but I know she is definitely trying to be cautious because she knows that they will get in trouble.