About Me

At times, I am a very shy person and very timid. I like to learn, I am willing to learn about any and everything. I LOVE laughing and smiling, love the feeling of making others laugh and smile. I do not like confrontations, being disrespectful, violence, or anything negative. I am passionate about everything I do, I really try hard to make sure that I give my best with everthing I do and when I know I haven't done my best I feel like I pretty much failed. I also like to try to help others, I think it is really important to try and help and positively inspire as many people as you can.

Friday, May 23, 2008

The Darkest Child post #1

Tangy Mae is one of 9 children by Rozelle Quinn. She is one of the youngest and her mother categorizes her and her siblings according to their skin color; the lighter-skinned ones are her favorites. The Quinn family lives in the south during segregation so even though they are seen differently by their mother at home, outside of the house they are all seen as negroes and treated like negroes. Their mother has an interesting way of raising her children. She treats them as her servants, making them work to support their family and limiting the amount of education they get. Rozelle Quinn's treatment of her children is completely void of compassion and love. It seems like she feels her children are only useful for making money for the family. Maybe it is because there is not a father figure in the Quinn home and so Rozelle feels that making her children work is the only way their family can survive, but she still does not treat her children like a mother should; she calls them degrading names and does things to them to make them really scared of her.

1 comment:

Jen said...

At first i didn't understand it, but in the back of the book Rozelle is described as unable to "distinguish love from possession." Rozelle is an unpredictable person--in a bad, insane sense--so i do beleive she has moments of compassion and love. but i think that in observing the changing natures and behaviors of her children (as is normal for ALL people), she feels that her family structure is in danger, and fails to see that love, from her and to her, is not measured by the possesion of her children.

i wonder, though, why she is so protective...what happened in her childhood?