About Me

At times, I am a very shy person and very timid. I like to learn, I am willing to learn about any and everything. I LOVE laughing and smiling, love the feeling of making others laugh and smile. I do not like confrontations, being disrespectful, violence, or anything negative. I am passionate about everything I do, I really try hard to make sure that I give my best with everthing I do and when I know I haven't done my best I feel like I pretty much failed. I also like to try to help others, I think it is really important to try and help and positively inspire as many people as you can.

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

"A New Approach to Correcting Autism" By Claudia Wallis

Claudia Wallis's 2007 article explains how researchers are making efforts to find medication to treat autism. The cause of autism is still a mystery, but it has been discovered that the disorder has something to do with genetic defects. One specific genetic defect is a malfunction in the X chromosome which results in a condition known as the Fragile X Syndrome. A paper published in the journal "Neuron" showed that symptoms of Fragile X--epilepsy, impaired metal functioning, aberrant brain structure and other abnormalities of the brain--could be reversed, thus providing hope for those with Fragile X and autism. 
Fragile X is a cause of the brain's failure to produce regular quantities of a chemical called the Fragile metal retardation protein FMRP. FMRP hinders the production of other proteins in the brain and without the proper amount of FMRP protein production becomes chaotic causing the brain to develop a large number of connections and a variety of behavioral, physical, and mental problems. FMRP is able to stop excess protein production by attaching to receptors on the surface of brain cells known as mGluR5 receptors, however the excess Fragile X blocks the receptors, accelerating protein production. After conducting an experiment on a special breed of mice with Fragile X researchers concluded that Fragile X could be treated by providing a drug that inhibited mGluR5 receptors. Fenobam, an already existing mGluR5 inhibiting drug, will be tested for human safety starting this year. 

TONE
Objective

Application
Have you ever knew anyone with autism? Do you think this disorder can be completely reversed? How do you think other people will respond to the development of this medication?

No comments: